Newbie Questions....

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Thu Jan 27 08:18:33 UTC 2005

Charles Malespin wrote:

> Hi, so I just bought a dell computer with XP installed on it already.
> I also bought a Fedora 2 reference book that had a DVD with FC2 etc so
> that I can run a dual boot.   I just found out about the problem that
> comes up when you try and run Fedora and XP together, but I cant get a
> straight easy way to fix this problem.  I tried to burn the FC2 rescue
> CD and boot from that, but it just tells me "missing OS" and doesnt do
> anything from there.  I have also seen that if you just go ahead and
> boot and load FC2 that after you can run something like
>      # sfdisk -d /dev/hda | sfdisk --no-reread --force -H255 /dev/hda
>    and then it will work again.  Any help would be useful, I am JUST
> starting with linux so the easier the better
> Thanks,
> CAM

> http://mail.yahoo.com

I'd strongly suggest getting the http://www.sysresccd.org/ iso, burn it
(in FC if you can), boot off it, and run fb1024 or fb800 (for frame
buffer, so you can run qtparted), run qtparted (run_qtparted command),
resize your windows partition (if needed), don't use this to re-create
the Linux partitions, since it will format them. Use fdisk for this (pay
close attention to partitoin sizes!! re-create them to the block!), once
you're done, reboot and try to get into Windows, you should be able to.