Newbie in need of serious help

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Thu Jan 27 09:37:08 UTC 2005

david walcroft wrote:

> Christopher Carr wrote:
>
>> Hey folks, I have been a WinXp user for years--Sorrrrrry, But I wiped
>> it off and
>> installed Fedora Core v3. I love it and I must say it runs soooooomuch
>> better than Windows. All my peripherals work except my MFC from Brother.
>> The particular model I have is the MFC-3820CN. The printer configuration
>> has pretty much all but my unit. Brother has no updates or assistance to
>> offer and I am clueless on working inside of Linux command lines. Please
>> help, I need this machine to do my scanning and copying functions. I'd
>> hate to have to wipe this off and put windows back on.
>>
>> Thanks all, I hope to learn more from all your posts
>> Christopher
>>

> Christopher,
>     Try these sites but it does not look good for Brother MFC devices.
>
> http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-BROTHER
>
> http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=Brother
>
>   regards   david

The quick look I took at materials I found with a google search for
Christopher's MFC device led me to believe that he will be able to use
at least some of the machine's print capabilities but not much else.
This was apparently true of HP multifunction machines initially as
well.  But, a second driver that provided support for scanning and other
functions was developed with some HP support (hpoj).  One must use both
drivers together to fully utilize device capabilities.