FC3 sucks. It takes up too much memory!

Edward Yang neo_in_matrix at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 27 10:08:27 UTC 2005

Mark Eggers wrote:

> [...]
>off cups, cups-config-daemon, and cups-lpd if it is enabled.
>
>In general, you can save memory by eliminating unneeded services, much
>like you would mark services as manual or disabled under Windows.
>

>>4. I don't want xscreensaver, because I am running FC3 inside
>>Microsoft Virtual PC. How to stop it?
>>

>In Gnome, the default desktop, you can disable screen savers under
>Preferences --> Screensaver
>

>>5. What is gnome-vfs/esd? Are they a must to for a user session?
>>

>I think gnome-vfs is the Gnome virtual file system.  This is probably a
>must if you're running Gnome (which is the default user interface).  esd
>is the Enlightened Sound Daemon.  In addition to providing sound support
>for other Gnome applications, it also provides sounds for alerts and
>other system functions.  If you want to turn off sound alerts, you can
>do this in Preferences --> Sound
>

>>Please forgive me if my post aroused some kind of holy debate. I come
>>from Windows world, it's inevitable for me to compare Linux/FC with
>>Windows. But I will appreciate very much if someone can help me,
>>instead of just saying 'Only newbies don't understand' or even 'Only
>>morons don't understand'.
>>

>Now, about your way of asking questions.  As been pointed out by many on
>the list, your way of asking questions is considered trolling.  Here are
>the reasons.
>
>1. You use a general topic
>2. You use inflammatory words (sucks)
>3. You've not taken much (if any) time to understand how the Gnome
>   desktop works.
>4. Your questions are not questions, but complaints.
>
>If you had phrased your query along the following lines, then you might
>have gotten a better response.
>
>I am running Fedora Core 3 as a VM process under a Microsoft Virtual PC.
>As such, memory is in very short supply.  I would like to know how to
>reduce the memory footprint.
>
>a) Can I disable cups?  If so, how?
>b) Can I disable sound?  If so, how?
>c) Can I disable the screen saver?  If so, how?
>d) What other steps can I take to reduce Fedora's memory footprint
>   running in this environment?
>e) Where can I learn more about
>   1) The Gnome desktop (which is not the same as Linux or Fedora)
>   2) Linux in general
>   3) Programming on Linux (both console and GUI applications)
>
>Since some of these answers are easily found via Google, showing that
>you've at least spent some effort demonstrates good faith.
>
>This is an open source environment, and on this list we all contribute
>freely during our spare time.  For example, it's 1:38 AM as I write
>this.  I am writing this because I want to help, and I also want to
>increase the signal/noise ratio of this mailing list.
>
>In return, I want some demonstration from you (the questioner) that you
>will put at least as much effort into learning about this environment as
>I have put in writing this message.
>
>While I don't expect it, a thank you wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks for replying. You can see I thanked everyong for *useful* response.

But I want to write response to your post:

>1. You use a general topic
Really? Does 'It takes up too much memory!' a generic topic?

>2. You use inflammatory words (sucks)
I tend to use this word at bad software. My personal taste.

I swear the following statement is true:

I see many more inflammatory words in Linux community, but I see none in Windows community in my 7 years of Internet life.

>3. You've not taken much (if any) time to understand how the Gnome desktop works.
What do you define the word 'newbie'?

>4. Your questions are not questions, but complaints.

Okay, you are 50% correct, and 50% wrong. Read my first post carefully -
it contains both complaints and questions.