ASUS A7V8X-MX SE Motherboard

Anthropos Anthropos at SWBell.net
Thu Jan 27 12:42:09 UTC 2005

I have installed Fedora Core 3 on the subject motherboard.  During the
reboot after installation, the sound system is tested.  At this time, I
heard the right channel, left channel, and both channels at normal volumes
and, therefore, I clicked 'yes' to the question asking if I had heard the
sound.

After logging in as 'root', I have to turn the volume to 100% and the PCM to
100% in the software settings and I have to turn the volume knob on the
speakers to 100% to hear sound.  What happened?...

The MB has an AD1980 device (AC'97 SoundMax) that is recognized as a VIA
8235.