Why I think FC3 sucks!

Edward Yang neo_in_matrix at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 27 12:45:37 UTC 2005

Edward Yang wrote:

> After getting so many reply from my last post, I finally understand
> why the post aroused so much agitation.
>
> 1. It seems for some people, 'FC3 sucks' is the same as '*Linux*
> sucks'. But I am very sorry, I did not mean that. I just meant FC3
> sucks or FC3 sucks because it is worse than FC1 based on my personal
> experience.
>
> 2. Some young guys (mostly students) or even not-so-young guys (what
> the hell who are they?) like the feel of calling somebody *troll*, and
> so they seize every possible chance to show off their *skills* at name
> calling. That's a dark side I already know about Linux communitiy.
> But, please note I am not saying the *whole* Linux community is bad, I
> mean a small part of it.
>
> Okay, let me elaborate why I think FC3 sucks or FC3 is worse than FC1.
> Note that I did not have experience with FC2.
>
> 1. Installation. Well, what can I say? It is not worse, but it not any
> bettern than FC1. Components selection is still very difficult.
>
> 2. FC3 could not start into X in Virtual PC. It spews out tons of
> error messages complaining something that actually should not have
> caused its failure. So I have to download a temporary patch from
> http://vpc.visualwin.com/. See page
> http://vpc.visualwin.com/Notes/FedoraCore.3.Final.html.
>
> 3. After several times of kernel updating (at least 3), I finally can
> boot into X from the so called official kernel provided by FC3.
>
> 4. It is hopelessly slower than FC1! I could run FC1 with only 128mb
> memory and don't feel much sluggishness. I now run FC3 with 164mb
> memory, but it is visibly slower than FC1! Application startup time is
> almost unbearable.
>
> 5. I am a newbie on Linux, but I already find a few bugs. For example,
> in gnome-termial, if I set DEL to ASCII DEL in the profile settings,
> it actualy acts like BACKSPACE. This bug may be specific only to
> gnome, but since it's bundled with FC3, so I attribute the problem to
> FC3. It's quite reasonable.
>
> 6. I have not acurate data to prove this, but I feel the system boot
> up time is longer than FC1.
>
> 7. This is a minor problem - I only installed kernel+gnome, no KDE.
> Yet it takes up more than 2gb space. What the hell? A normal Windows
> 2000 installation usually takes only 1.5gb even with all components
> selected. I forgot how much was FC1, but FC3 apparently is not doing
> better or even worse.
>
> 8. I may think of others that attribute to this 'FC3 sucks' topic.
>
> Final words - I am not negating Linux. Actually I think Linux and Open
> Source has a very good future. That's why I am catching the new waves
> here.
>
> Thanks.

Here is number 8!

I just found out that on FC3 Borland C++Builder takes more than 400mb
memory! While on Windows, it only takes a little more than 60mb.This is
making me believe that System Monitor is having a bug about calculating
memory size...

And number 9:
Though I have screen saver disabled, but I still get xscreensaver in my
session. :-(