Why I think FC3 sucks!

Edward Yang neo_in_matrix at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 27 13:28:17 UTC 2005

Pasha wrote:

> Edward Yang wrote:
>
>> Pasha wrote:

>>> First, there is no need to shout.
>>> Second, please turn off HTML when you post to this list. In
>>> Thunderbird composition window, select Options/Format/Plain Text.
>>>
>>> If you look more closely, you can see that ASCII DEL is also
>>> generated by backspace. For me this means, that if I set Del to the
>>> same setting as backspace, it will act the same way as backspace.
>>> Also, you may be surprised, but originally ASCII DEL (and delete
>>> key) acted as backspace. I don't remember where it was changed,
>>> probably in MS-DOS. Anyway, there are a lot of hints telling that
>>> you should not touch that setting at all. In any case this is not a
>>> bug.
>>>
>> Okay, I like posting in HTML, which is not forbid by law; it's only
>> the usual custom to post in plain text, I choose not to follow it. If
>> you can't read it, please ignore me.
>>
>> ASCII DEL = ASCII 7 and ASCII BS = 8.
>>
>> Do you mean 7 == 8?
>

> 7 is ASCII BEL not DEL. This character produces a bell sound when
> printed. ASCII DEL is 8 and is synonim of ASCII BS.
>
> Concerning HTML: If you search this list you'll find plenty of
> explanations on why HTML is bad for posting on mailing lists. You will
> also find some other rules. The most important, however is a practical
> one: HTML postings are ignored (and in some cases automatically
> deleted) by many members of the list, especially by those who can
> actually help you. So, your chance to receive help in this (and most
> others) mailing list is significantly reduced.

I was wrong when I said ASCII DEL = 7. It's actually 0x7f (127). May be
you are right in that historcially DEL is same as BS in *nix world. I
don't know that. But thanks for replying.

Sorry, I am a stubborn person. I still want to use HTML. If you can show
me that this list REQUIRES its list members use plain text, I will
follow the rule.