FC3 memory (evolution)

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Thu Jan 27 15:17:24 UTC 2005

On 01/27/2005 06:23:58 AM, Sharon Kimble wrote:

> I think that the culprit is 'spamassassin', with one 'spamd' being
> spawned
> for each email account that is being checked. Simplest solution is to
> either not use spamassassin or not check so many email accounts. Next
> simplest solution, is to increase them amount of ram if you can. That
> way
> it won't appear so sluggish and will speed everything else up as
> well.

Spamassassin is slow.
If there is any way you can set up a different box to pop for you and
process the mail through spamassassin, and then get evolution to get
mail from that, your user experience will increase.

What I ended up doing with balsa, and you can do the same with
evolution, is I use fetchmail to get my mail, process it through
spamassassin, and deposit them into my Inbox. Balsa then checks for new
mail in my Inbox ( /var/spool/mail/username )

That way it happens wether I am actively checking my mail or not, and
then my filters filter based upon the headers SpamAssassin creates. It
has made using mail so much better to use. I do this with three mail
accounts (fetchmail grabs them all).

That's probabably the best way to do it if you (like me) can't run
spamassassin on a separate box.