GRUB will not be overwritten

Terry Polzin fox3ec208 at wideopenwest.com
Thu Jan 27 15:21:50 UTC 2005

On Thursday 27 January 2005 09:45, Krzysztof Kujawski wrote:
> I haven't wiped out any partitions.
> I tried chroot /mnt/sysimage as rescue CD let me.
>
> But I don't know how to exit and reboot from shell -- rescue CD wrote that
> after command chroot /mnt/sysimage
> exit from shell and the system will be reboot.
>
> Exit not results in rebooting.
>
> Id this command in one line?
>
> chroot /mnt/sysimage/sbin/grub-install /dev/hd(3)

No, it's two command lines
chroot /mnt/sysimage -- makes the / command tree you would have after a normal
boot effective ( you are no longer running commands from the
rescue /bin, /sbin directories)

The /sbin/grub-install /dev/hd(x) should re-write the MBR.

Then exit twice, the first one will return you to the rescue environment, the
second will reboot the system.