Random X crashes on FC 1

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Jan 27 15:42:43 UTC 2005

Ben Sheron wrote:
> Ok, I've been working with it a bit now.  I was able to get to happen in
> Maya, and in the file sharing app DCGUI-QT.  However it still happens if
> I stay logged in long enough.  I've needed my box a bit this week and so
> have not gotten a chance to run Memtest on it yet.  However, I think the
> problem has two main causes right now:  First, I opened my case for some
> better circulation, and the cpu temp has gone down a bit.  (I'm using a
> dual AMD box; I had thought the air circulation was good but I guess
> not...)  Also, I Googled a bit and discovered that with the Mobo I have,
> a Tyan Tiger MPX, it is generally better to use buffered RAM; I use
> unbuffered...  I'll get some and see if that makes a difference too (I
> was planning to upgrade anyway, as I can use more RAM if it's buffered.)
>
> Thanks for the input.
>
> Ben

Just a comment on Random X crashes in FC1.

I get them as well.  No rhyme or reason.  I have had crashes at
different times with different applications running.

I ran memtest and any other hardware diagnostics but still no reason.

One time it happened while I was typing in a terminal window.  Another
time while opening Mozilla.  The odd time while plugging something in
the USB port.  I have all the latest patches on.

I was planning on moving to FC3 but got delayed but now I think I will
wait until FC4 and do a complete new install.

Only reboot will unlock everything.  I am suspecting something with
drive access or some cleanup in the background that is occurring.

-
Robin Laing