your comments regarding following

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 27 16:38:58 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 04:02:28PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> > I have a DSL line with 128kpbs, how many people could be shared on this
> > connection practically?

> > If I use VoIP phone over this line with the entire share, what
> > could be the voice quality?

> poor :-)

First DSL is commonly asymmetric (ADSL).  It is important to give both
the upload and download speed.  Be very specific about which service
you purchased.  128kpbs sounds like half the information to me.

A rule of thumb...  56Kbaud is the upper limit for a dial up line for
a reason.  i.e. This is the bandwidth for uncompressed standard audio
through the phone system.  Half of that bandwidth can still be
understood.

Thus a 128kpbs link uses two normal audio channels in the phone system.

VoIP applications can encode and compress audio so you get better
channel use but that requires that both ends use the same encoding and
decoding tricks.

If the link is shared 11 ways then no one will get a constant full
audio channel of bandwidth when all 11 are active.  If the use is
intermittent enough it might work statistically.

Try it....  It is possible to use serial line IP between two
test boxes and model what 128kpbs or 56Kbps is like

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	spam unwanted email.