creating a sysv script

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Jan 27 17:13:15 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 10:52 -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 10:03, Craig White wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 09:50 -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> > >
> > > If you are unable to get this problem resolved you may want to check out
> > > milter-greylist.  That was easy to install and has worked very well
> > > providing greylisting capabilities for sendmail.
> > >
> > > You may also want to look at its code to see how they get things setup,
> > > could help resolve your problem with the package you are using.
> > ----
> > no it's setup - it's working. I'm just trying to figure out a way to get
> > it launched as a daemon - i.e. so that it doesn't list pts/3 or whatever
> > terminal so I can log out after starting or restarting.
> >
> > How are you starting the program?
> >
> > Craig
>
> I wrote a startup script that I put in the standard init.d directory and
> used chkconfig to treat it as a service.  It starts milter-greylist up
> when the system boots and you can use the standard tools to manage it.
>
> It treats it as a service on the system.
>
> I started with one of the other scripts in init.d as an example and
> modified for milter-greylist.
----
that's exactly what I'm trying to do - when I launch it as it is now
(from within /etc/rc.d/init.d/relay) and I chkconfig and service start
stuff...it still is controlled by a terminal

#ps aux|grep relaydelay
root     28682  0.0  1.2 38960 6404 pts/3    S    07:50
0:00 /usr/bin/perl -w /root/relaydelay-0.04/relaydelay.pl

note -> pts/3

If I close that terminal, program stops.

I would love to see what you get from ps aux command...

If your launch is detached from a terminal (i.e. a ? instead of pts/3 or
some other) then I would love to see your sysV script. I know that at
the beginning of the thread, I included mine.

Craig