How to setup a headless machine

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Thu Jan 27 18:37:43 UTC 2005

On Thursday 27 January 2005 10:27 am, dan flailed at a keyboard and produced
this:
> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> > Out of curiousity, I'd like to know what are the better ways to setup
> > and run a headless (monitor less) machine with FC3.
> >
> > I'm going to setup a third linux box in my room, and thought it would be
> > nice to learn and try out.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Peace
> > Arturo
>
> Just make sure it's accessable over the network, and you're set.
>
> If it's goign to run X, and you really want a GUI, I'd suggest looking
> into VNC.
>
> One thing to remember, make sure the machine doesn't halt if it doesn't
> detect a keyboard.  This way, you can reboot it without having to have a
> kbd in it.
>
> I run several machines like this, without a mouse, kbd, or monitor.
> Hell, they don't even have video cards.

I've got an old RH8 machine sitting on my desk which is essentially headless,
since the monitor and mouse and keyboard are all hooked up to a LuMiX box
which I have yet to get working.  I haven't managed to get VNC Server working
on it, but since it just sits around and serves up web pages and mail and
files, I don't really need a GUI for it.  I just SSH into from another
computer when I want to update it or do some system administration.

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford (mailto: rscrawford at mossroot.com)