How to setup a headless machine

Daniel Buggie buggie at best.com
Thu Jan 27 18:38:37 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 14:24 -0400, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> Out of curiousity, I'd like to know what are the better ways to setup
> and run a headless (monitor less) machine with FC3.
>
> I'm going to setup a third linux box in my room, and thought it would be
> nice to learn and try out.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Peace
> Arturo

You definitely will want to set up serial console so that you can log
into your box without network connectivity. Just google serial console
and you should be fine. You will need to pick up a null modem cable
though.

Most server class motherboards will also support BIOS redirection that
will allow you to see the POST messages via the serial port or change
settings on in the BIOS or any SCSI controller you may have. Not a must
have but if you haven't bought the hardware yet its something to keep in
mind.

However the terminal emulation under serial console leaves much to be
desired, so for most day to day stuff ssh is your friend.