FC3 sucks. It takes up too much memory!

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Thu Jan 27 22:35:04 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 12:07:13AM -0700, Dan Trainor wrote:
> John Wendel wrote:
> >Edward Yang wrote:
> >
> >[snip]
> >
> "problem".  I don't know if the "problem" was due to user or system
> error.  Either way, I'm sure most of us here don't really care.
>
> Regardless, think that is what he was looking for.
>
> I often contribute to this list to try to help people get around some of
> the hurdles that they're having, regardless of how small.  However, I do
> take offense to how Mr. Yang states that FC3 is the guilty party.  I
> know that he says he came from a vast Windows background, and with that
> being said, he should know better than anyone that you can not ever
> expect the best performance out of a product vanilla and "out of the box".
>
> My suggestion to you, Mr. Yang, is to go do your homework, and stop with
> the "You're an idiot" - "No, you're an idiot!" idle bickering.  The list
> gets enough traffic already, and could surely do without the bickering.
>
> The few who have not already ignored every message that you have, may,
> or will be sending, are here to support you, and if need be, hold your
> hand throughout the whole process.  I, for some reason, remain one of
> these few, but I think that I put it well said for others and myself
> when I tell you that I will refuse to offer any assistance to you if
> your netiquette does not improve.
>
> So which areas of your setup are you wanting to improve?  Memory
> consumption?  Where would you like to start?
I wish people would get over the subject construction and deal with
the problem being identified. The memory consumption of FCx systems
is unusually high. I have been trying for years now to pin down exactly
what process uses up all the processing power and memory an failed.
Even though one can run FCx on a machine with 128M of memory it runs
very slowly. At work being frustrated beyond belief by this phenomena
I took out my checkbook and bought memory for a company owned machine.

That is the problem the original poster is talking about. What is the
solution?

Let sleeping dogs lie.
		-- Charles Dickens
Aaron Konstam