FC3 sucks. It takes up too much memory!

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Thu Jan 27 22:51:58 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 01:59:43AM -0800, Mark Eggers wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 22:49 -0800, John Wendel wrote:
> > Edward Yang wrote:
>
> > I have to agree with Edward Yang about memory usage, though I can't
> > comment about Windows. I have been using Linux for 5 years and I'm
> > really disturbed by the memory bloat in the current crop of desktop
> > applications.
>
> Please repeat after me:
>
> Linux is not the desktop applications.
> Linux is not Gnome/ KDE / Xfce / Fluxbox / Afterstep.
> Linux is not Apache / Tomcat / Mysql / Postgres
>
> These are all environments and applications that run on top of Linux.
> The 2.6.10 kernel has actually gotten BETTER at memory, thread, and
> process management.  My total memory usage for a stock environment has
> been reduced.
>
> I run a pretty abused system (Apache, Tomcat or Jonas, Postgresql,
> Mysql, cvs).  My web server has lots of modules loaded, including
> mod_mono, mod_perl, mod_python, and php.  I run Cocoon under Tomcat.  I
> run a complete development environment - mostly Netbeans for coding,
> Emacs for straight text editing, Bluefish or jEdit for web page work,
> and Gimp for graphics.
>
> I usually have a terminal window open, a web browser with multiple tabs,
> Evolution mail, Pan (news reader), a system monitoring application,
> Emacs, Netbeans or jEdit or Bluefish, and xmms.  If I'm writing web
> pages, I have IE running under Wine (Crossover Office) as well.
>
> All this is done on a Dell 8200 with 768 M memory and a 60 GB hard disk.
> The performance for a single person (me) is reasonable.  I can even shut
> down a lot of the stuff and play Unreal Tournament acceptably.
768 M of memory is a lot of memory for an average "slub" (a technical
term) to have in their machine when they decide to run a FCx
installation. I fully believe you have no memory or swap problem with
that much ram memory. We have no particular memory or speed problem
with 500M of memory on our machines. But below that things get dicey.

If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door.
		-- Paul Beatty
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University