Why I think FC3 sucks!

Don Dupy fedora at maxxrad.net
Thu Jan 27 23:05:18 UTC 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Vinicius wrote:

> Edward Yang escreveu:
>> After getting so many reply from my last post, I finally understand why the
>> post aroused so much agitation.
>>
>> 1. It seems for some people, 'FC3 sucks' is the same as '*Linux* sucks'.
>> But I am very sorry, I did not mean that. I just meant FC3 sucks or FC3
>> sucks because it is worse than FC1 based on my personal experience.
>>
>> 2. Some young guys (mostly students) or even not-so-young guys (what the
>> hell who are they?) like the feel of calling somebody *troll*, and so they
>> seize every possible chance to show off their *skills* at name calling.
>> That's a dark side I already know about Linux communitiy. But, please note
>> I am not saying the *whole* Linux community is bad, I mean a small part of
>> it.
>>
>> Okay, let me elaborate why I think FC3 sucks or FC3 is worse than FC1. Note
>> that I did not have experience with FC2.
>>
>> 1. Installation. Well, what can I say? It is not worse, but it not any
>> bettern than FC1. Components selection is still very difficult.
>>
>> 2. FC3 could not start into X in Virtual PC. It spews out tons of error
>> messages complaining something that actually should not have caused its
>> failure. So I have to download a temporary patch from
>> http://vpc.visualwin.com/. See page
>> http://vpc.visualwin.com/Notes/FedoraCore.3.Final.html.
>>

> "Product Specifications
>
> The Virtual PC application requires a 400 MHz Pentium-compatible processor (1
> GHz is recommended), and requires approximately 20 MB of disk space. It runs
> on Windows XP Professional and Windows 2000 Professional. ". These are the
> hosts.
>
> And these are the guests: "MS-DOS 6.22; Windows 95; Windows 98; Windows Me;
> Windows 2000; Windows NT 4.0;  Windows XP; and OS/2**"
>
> See http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/evaluation/overview2004.mspx
>
> I suppose GNU\Linux is not supported by Virtual PC, but VMWare does supports
> GNU\Linux.
>

>> 3. After several times of kernel updating (at least 3), I finally can boot
>> into X from the so called official kernel provided by FC3.
>>
>> 4. It is hopelessly slower than FC1! I could run FC1 with only 128mb memory
>> and don't feel much sluggishness. I now run FC3 with 164mb memory, but it
>> is visibly slower than FC1! Application startup time is almost unbearable.
>>
>> 5. I am a newbie on Linux, but I already find a few bugs. For example, in
>> gnome-termial, if I set DEL to ASCII DEL in the profile settings, it
>> actualy acts like BACKSPACE. This bug may be specific only to gnome, but
>> since it's bundled with FC3, so I attribute the problem to FC3. It's quite
>> reasonable.
>>
>> 6. I have not acurate data to prove this, but I feel the system boot up
>> time is longer than FC1.
>>
>> 7. This is a minor problem - I only installed kernel+gnome, no KDE. Yet it
>> takes up more than 2gb space. What the hell? A normal Windows 2000
> [...]

I must be an oddball..........
I think the first thing a person needs is decent hardware to run this
stuff like it was intended.

My laptop is a Sony Vaio PCG-V505BL with a 2.4GHZ P4M, and 1GIG of ram.
Fedora Core 3 installed easily and painlessly. I am also running VMWare
with an install of Win2K. again, working perfectly. I have never seen a
Linux distro so easy to get up and running. I run everything I want to run
on it, with little or no problems installing or configuring. I am maybe
just a little better than a beginner at this. I don't really consider
myself a novice.

I am running Fedora Core 1 on a Dell Poweredge 600SC. No problems. NONE
It is a 1.8 Celeron with 256MB RAM. FC1 installed quickly and painlessly
here as well. It is my server. Does mail, DNS, apache, DHCP, MRTG, Big
Brother, blah blah blah....... all with little or no trouble installing or
configuring.

FC3 is the bomb. I love it, and will not use anything else.
What problems I have had, I either did my homework or asked a ? here. I
always have gotten an answer to my problems here. This is better that M$
could ever offer.

There's my .02 take it or leave it...........
  --
Don Dupy

FC1 - Kernel 2.4.22 - Dell Poweredge 600SC
http://www.maxxrad.net
email: fedora at maxxrad.net