FC3 sucks. It takes up too much memory!

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Jan 27 23:07:33 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 17:35, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:

> I wish people would get over the subject construction and deal with
> the problem being identified. The memory consumption of FCx systems
> is unusually high. I have been trying for years now to pin down exactly
> what process uses up all the processing power and memory an failed.
> Even though one can run FCx on a machine with 128M of memory it runs
> very slowly. At work being frustrated beyond belief by this phenomena
> I took out my checkbook and bought memory for a company owned machine.
>
> That is the problem the original poster is talking about. What is the
> solution?

Actually if you read back through this whole gory thread several people
have suggested where the problem is. The OP did not provide the relevant
details in his first message concerning the environment he was working
in.  Only much later where some of those details provided.

Any system today with just 128M of memory is going to run slow
regardless of if it is Linux or Windows.  On top of that the OP is
running Linux in a virtual machine which has its own over head added to
the mix.  In such an environment the OP should consider running without
a window manager and many of the other optional packages that Fedora
comes with.  However I doubt that is what he is looking for.

The OP might find dual booting works better since that would eliminate
the overhead of running in a virtual system.  Additional memory is also
recommended as that will most likely improve the response times
greatly.  After that the user would need to run some reproducible
benchmarks against different parts of the system to track down where the
performance bottle neck is located.

>From the release notes:

Memory Requirements
This section lists the memory required to install Fedora Core 3.

      * Minimum for text-mode: 64MB

      * Minimum for graphical: 192MB

      * Recommended for graphical: 256MB

I have found that 256MB is marginal and prefer systems with at least
512MB of memory if you plan on running any serious applications.  128MB
system trying to run a graphical interface is not recommended even in
the release notes.

I suspect Windows has similar memory requirements as well.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

We are what we pretend to be.