What does smp mean?

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Fri Jan 28 00:43:01 UTC 2005

On Thursday 27 January 2005 4:20 pm, Leandro Melo flailed at a keyboard and
produced this:
> When i but my system, grub shows me 3 options for o.s. They are
> - fedora core (2.6.5-1.358smp)
> - fedora core up (2.6.5-1.358)
> - other
> What's a smp kernel? What are exactly the diferences between these 2
> fedora versions?

As I understand it, the SMP kernel is compiled specifically for
multi-processor systems -- systems with two or more processors (I have two
P-III processors in my computer, for example, so the SMP kernel would be
appropriate).  It should work fine on a single processor system, though.

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford (mailto: rscrawford at mossroot.com)