What does smp mean?

Chris Stark cstark at hawaii.edu
Fri Jan 28 00:44:57 UTC 2005

Leandro Melo wrote:
> When i but my system, grub shows me 3 options for o.s. They are
> - fedora core (2.6.5-1.358smp)
> - fedora core up (2.6.5-1.358)
> - other
> What's a smp kernel? What are exactly the diferences between these 2
> fedora versions?

SMP = symmetric multiple processors.

If you have a P4 with hyperthreading turned on, the system appears to be
a virtual dual processor. The SMP kernel will take advantage of this
virtual second processor while the UP kernel (Uni-Processor) will not.

Whether or not you see a noticeable change in performance will likely
depend on the applications you use, but that said, I use the SMP kernel
on my P4 machine.

--
Chris Stark
Musician, Linux User, Grad Student