Why doesn't kill work?

David Liguori liguorid at albany.edu
Fri Jan 28 02:04:16 UTC 2005

In another thread a user having problems with yum killed it.  I am
curious how he accomplished that.  When I run yum (or any other command,
for that matter), it stalls, and I stop it with ctrl-z, the following
happens:

[1]+  Stopped                 yum update
[root at tabby ~]# ps
   PID TTY          TIME CMD
  6179 pts/0    00:00:00 su
  6182 pts/0    00:00:00 bash
  6214 pts/0    00:00:21 yum
  6220 pts/0    00:00:00 ps
[root at tabby ~]# kill 6214
[root at tabby ~]# ps
   PID TTY          TIME CMD
  6179 pts/0    00:00:00 su
  6182 pts/0    00:00:00 bash
  6214 pts/0    00:00:21 yum ##still running!
  6221 pts/0    00:00:00 ps
[root at tabby ~]# exit
logout
There are stopped jobs. ##still running!
[root at tabby ~]#

As you see, the kill command produces no output here, but if I make up a
pid at random it complains no such pid exists.

I'm running a single Athlon 1 gHz processor, if that is important.

When I search Bugzilla for "kill" the only relevant hits are from ages
ago in RH 5.1 or so, where a few lines of code run by a non-root user
could kill any process regardless of owner (the opposite problem).  This
was apparently fixed and closed.  I considered compiling and running the
program as root to see if I had better luck than with kill, but it
doesn't really address the issue.

Should I file a Bugzilla report, or am I missing something?

  --
David Liguori