Yum proxy?

Ed K. ed at hp.uab.edu
Fri Jan 28 02:23:29 UTC 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> Ed K. wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>>> Is there any such thing as a yum proxy? And I don't mean setting up yum to
>>> work through a proxy. I'm hoping for a daemon through which the host and
>>> client connect, and which would in turn access the repos, so as to save
>>> band width.
>>>
>>> Does such exist?
>>>
>> Yes, its called squid. have a look at my yum repository. it properly sets
>> and uses the expires and if-modified-since http headers:
>>
>> http://www.edebris.com/fedora.redhat/mirror/
>> http://www.edebris.com/fedora.us/mirror/
>>
> Yes I'm aware of squid. But how well would it work with ftp, and would squids
> caching cause problems? If not, then my question has been answered.

You can only use squid if you use a http repository that properly uses
expires and if-modified-since, like the ones at edebris.com.

This is different then trying to mirror the yum repository at menioned at:
http://www.fedoranews.org/alex/tutorial/yum/
It even talks about requiring 5G and I think that figure is low. The
mirror is now 25G for fedora.us and 16G for fedora.redhat without the
source RPMS.

I always make mention of using squid as a proxy and a properly contructed
http server in the hopes that more mirrors will copy, and more
installations will not require their own local copy of a yum repository. I
have 5 sites with fedora core 1/2/3 installations and none have a local
yum repository.

Maybe I should write an article for FedoraNEWS.org?

ed