dumb newbie question...

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Jan 28 02:51:15 UTC 2005

On 01/27/2005 06:30:04 PM, Charles Malespin wrote:
> Hi,
>   I have been trying to run a dual boot with XP and FC2.  I think I
> finally know what I need to do to get around the boot problems with
> XP.  I am making a CD of Knoppix to boot from.  How do I know if I
> need to shrink my windows partition, and how small do I make it?  I
> have a 160Gb hard drive and I want 60 windows, 100 FC2.   After this
> can just find out what my cyl. heads, etc are from knoppix and run
> the
> install normally.  Then enter those numbers at a command line right?
> I just want to make sure that I am not missing any steps cause I have
> been reading 100 differnt ways to do it and I am getting confused.

I don't know about resizing - but if I were you, I'd make a sizeable
vfat (fat32) partition as well, it really simplifies transfering files
between the two OS's.

For resizing - I highly suggest you use Partition Magic - there may be
other tools that can do it as well, but it is the best - don't mess
with resizing an ntfs partition from Knoppix (if that's even possible)
- really.