Cdrecord not working - please help!

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Fri Jan 28 06:51:19 UTC 2005

Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:

> Robert Storey wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:53:58 -0500
>> Steven Pasternak <stevenp500 at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>

>>> I use FC2 kernel 2.6.5-1.358 and cdrecord 2.01.1-0.FC2.1 and cd
>>> burning WON'T WORK!! I have /usr/bin/cdrecord set to 4711 and /dev/hdc
>>> set to 666 and no luck! the md5sum checks out, and even burning as
>>> root doesn't work! I went through 3 CD-Rs and all wasted. My burner
>>> has a light that is green when reading, yellow for something else (I
>>> think fixating) and red for burning. I have tried command line and
>>> k3b. It will "start writing", be red for 1-2 seconds, then switch from
>>> yellow to green many times. I try to kill it, but 1. it wont die 2. it
>>> won't let me open my cdrom (even with eject, which freezes). Finally,
>>> after a minute, it dies and gives me a worthless, dead,
>>> partially-written-on cd-r. cdrecord says that it couldn't fixate disk.
>>> Could it be cdrecord, permissions, or the kernel itself? Thanks!
>>> -Steven
>>>

>> Dear Steven,
>>
>> Don't know about FC2, but on FC3, you have to do...
>>
>> up2date udev
>>
>> ...to get it working properly.
>>
>> regards,
>> Robert
>>

> On FC2 that's irrelevant since the distro is not udev compliant....
> I'd strongly suggest updating your kernel to *at least* version
> 2.6.7... FC2 was a bit jumpy on earlier versions of the kernel... And
> also a fully updated systems is always recommended, since many thing
> have been fixed since official release.

I'm also having difficulties with cdrecord on FC2, starting with 2.6.5
and continuing with the latest available kernel (2.6.10-1.9 [1 think]).
Both CD drives on the system appear to work just fine in read mode.
There does seem to be some kind of conflict, though, in the device
definitions on the system.  The same hardware running an RH 8 kernel saw
the ide-scsi CD-RW drive as scsi:0.  On FC2 it is seen as scsi:1