Fedora Core 3: /media/cdrecorder keeps dissappearing

Steven P. Ulrick ulrick2 at faith4miracle.org
Fri Jan 28 07:25:52 UTC 2005

On Friday 28 January 2005 12:52 am, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> Hello, Everyone
> I am still having the problem that is referred to in the above quoted
> message, and in the logs that are quoted in that message.  I have two USB2
> busses on our Abit KD7 mainboard.  A cable goes from one of them to two
> ports on the front of our machine.  Another cable goes to two ports on the
> back of our machine.  Right now, our CD burner (Iomega 52X external, USB2)
> has dissappeared (it is connected to a port on the back of our machine.
> There only appear to be issues with the ports on the back.)  If I rebooted,
> it would reappear.  If I took the cable from the burner and put it in one
> of the open ports on the front of our machine, it would reappear
> immediately.  If I left it in the front, it would not dissappear anymore.
> In a minute, I'm going to try a new experiment: I'm going to unplug the
> burner and leave it unplugged for a few minutes, leave the machine alone,
> and then come back and plug it in the same port that it dissaapeared from.
> If that doesn't bring back the burner, then I will try the same experiemt,
> but I will replug it in the other port in the back.
> I'm sure someone has already had the thought, "Maybe your burner is bad."
> Good question, but I have had our only other USB2 device (EPSON Perfection
> 2400 Photo) dissappear while connected to one of the back ports.
> Basically, I've had it happen that whatever I have connected in the back
> will dissappear eventually, but if I plug back in immediately in one of the
> front ports, it will come back.  Like I said earlier, if I leave any of the
> "dissappeared" devices connected to a back port and Reboot, it will
> reappear.  This makes me at least _Suspect_ that this might not be a pure
> hardware issue.
>
> Anyway, I will get back to you with the results of my experiment.

Hello, Everyone
I unplugged our USB2 burner from the port that it was in in the back of our
machine when it dissappeared.  I came back about 15 minutes later, plugged it
in, and it popped right back up.  Unless you say so, it seems pointless to
try to burn a cd just to see if it is fully functional.  However, I just got
done ripping a song from a cd, and it turned out perfectly.

Assuming that it will dissappear again, the next time I will try not waiting
so long to plug it back in.  After that, I will try plugging it back in right
away in the other back port.  I guess I don't need waste your time with all
the combinations, I'll just do them, and keep you posted with the results.

Steven P. Ulrick