Fedora Core 3: /media/cdrecorder keeps dissappearing

Steven P. Ulrick ulrick2 at faith4miracle.org
Fri Jan 28 06:36:05 UTC 2005

On Friday 24 December 2004 8:58 pm, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> On Friday 24 December 2004 9:09 am, Bill Gradwohl wrote:
> > Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> > >Since it just silently dissappears, I have no idea where to start
> > > diagnosing this.
> >
> > Have you considered running a script every minute via cron to check the
> > drives status and send the result to a log file? When it disappears,
> > you'll have a time stamp and then you can check the real logs for what
> > went on @ that time.
> >
> > I don't know how you're checking the drives status, but the following
> > might form the basis for a script:
> > #!/bin/bash
> > date >>log.file
> > # Put your checking code here, and make sure you output to the same log
> > file, most likely via>>log.file
> >
> > Then add the script to crontab to run every minute and wait for it to
> > happen again.
> > With a bit more sophisticatiuon, you could have the box send you an
> > email or ring the bell when it occurs.
>
> Hello, Bill
> I did a little research on my own (on the theme of logs), and I found the
> following in /var/log/messages:
> Dec 20 14:00:17 x1-6-00-c0-f0-55-7c-ff kernel: scsi: Device offlined - not
> ready after error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0
> Dec 20 14:00:17 x1-6-00-c0-f0-55-7c-ff kernel: usb 1-6: USB disconnect,
> address 4
>

> Dec 22 09:08:32 x1-6-00-c0-f0-55-7c-ff hal.hotplug[12252]: DEVPATH is not
> set Dec 22 09:08:32 x1-6-00-c0-f0-55-7c-ff hal.hotplug[12261]: DEVPATH is
> not set Dec 22 09:08:32 x1-6-00-c0-f0-55-7c-ff kernel: input: AT Translated
> Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0
>

> Dec 23 00:07:26 x1-6-00-c0-f0-55-7c-ff kernel: scsi: Device offlined - not
> ready after error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0
> Dec 23 00:07:26 x1-6-00-c0-f0-55-7c-ff kernel: usb 1-6: USB disconnect,
> address 4
> Dec 23 00:07:26 x1-6-00-c0-f0-55-7c-ff hald[27698]: Timed out waiting for
> hotplug event 415. Rebasing to 418
> Dec 23 00:07:26 x1-6-00-c0-f0-55-7c-ff fstab-sync[29780]: removed mount
> point /media/cdrom1 for /dev/scd0
>

> Dec 24 02:35:20 x1-6-00-c0-f0-55-7c-ff kernel: scsi: Device offlined - not
> ready after error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0
> Dec 24 02:35:20 x1-6-00-c0-f0-55-7c-ff kernel: usb 1-6: USB disconnect,
> address 4
> Dec 24 02:35:21 x1-6-00-c0-f0-55-7c-ff fstab-sync[14590]: removed mount
> point /media/cdrecorder for /dev/scd0
>
> I then located the following link:
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-November/msg02386.html
>
> Is my issue like the one referred to in the email that I put the link for?
> If I have found something new, please let me know, and I will add my
> comments to whatever bug you can lead me to, or I can file a new one, if
> you will tell me where, and what component and sub-component I should file
> it under.
>
> I just downloaded the FC3 updates-testing kernel.  I will proceed to
> [...]

Hello, Everyone
I am still having the problem that is referred to in the above quoted message,
and in the logs that are quoted in that message.  I have two USB2 busses on
our Abit KD7 mainboard.  A cable goes from one of them to two ports on the
front of our machine.  Another cable goes to two ports on the back of our
machine.  Right now, our CD burner (Iomega 52X external, USB2) has
dissappeared (it is connected to a port on the back of our machine.  There
only appear to be issues with the ports on the back.)  If I rebooted, it
would reappear.  If I took the cable from the burner and put it in one of the
open ports on the front of our machine, it would reappear immediately.  If I
left it in the front, it would not dissappear anymore.  In a minute, I'm
going to try a new experiment: I'm going to unplug the burner and leave it
unplugged for a few minutes, leave the machine alone, and then come back and
plug it in the same port that it dissaapeared from.  If that doesn't bring
back the burner, then I will try the same experiemt, but I will replug it in
the other port in the back.
I'm sure someone has already had the thought, "Maybe your burner is bad."
Good question, but I have had our only other USB2 device (EPSON Perfection
2400 Photo) dissappear while connected to one of the back ports.  Basically,
I've had it happen that whatever I have connected in the back will dissappear
eventually, but if I plug back in immediately in one of the front ports, it
will come back.  Like I said earlier, if I leave any of the "dissappeared"
devices connected to a back port and Reboot, it will reappear.  This makes me
at least _Suspect_ that this might not be a pure hardware issue.

Anyway, I will get back to you with the results of my experiment.

Steven P. Ulrick

P.S.: To add insult to injury, I checked the same log files that I quoted from
above.  Now they have no reference whatsoever
to /media/cdrecorder, /dev/scd0, hotplug, fstab-sync....