Printer share through CUPS hell... What could be wrong?

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Fri Jan 28 07:59:37 UTC 2005

    Yet again I face the hell of trying to share through CUPS a
printer... I thought the issue with the firewall was solved in one of
the various revisions of system-config-printer and printer-tui, but it
seems I was wrong... In any case, I have made the printer atthached to
my own computer available to all the hosts in the local network (I tried
to specify the network to no avail). In anycase I turned down the
firewall on my computer and the client computer could print to my local
attached printer, exported as a CUPS (IPP) printer... So I opened the
necesary ports on my firewall (I use a firewall builder generated
firewall script) and in the policy I have set to accept all connections
on the local network to my computer (for testing purposes set to log
activity on this rule)... I bring up the firewall, and tail -f
/var/log/messages... Then I try to print from the client computer... The
connection is recieved and accepted on port 631, but no print
activity... Hmmm... So remembered I also needed the spool ports... I
went to firewall builder, but what do you know?? I am ACCEPTing all
connections on the local network (Class C 192.168.1.0), and still no
dice... In sytem-cofnig-printer (GUI) I see a message:

Unable to get printer status (client-error-forbidden)! What does that mean?

Also whenever I select on my computer Activate LPD protocol checkbox and
accept that, if I immediately click the share properties again, the
check box is diselected... So I assume the change does not have *any*
effect and as such it is the same whatever I select as the CUPS printer
in the client computer (another FC3 system)... Did I mention both
systems are fully updated to today's (well yesterday's, actually)
updates? I'm quickly running out of ideas as to what try next... I may
try to use the system-config-printer-tui tool and see if with that I
have any better luck... though I doubt it. And as I thought  a quick
glance did not show anything to set sharing.