Fedora Community: Under threat?

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Fri Jan 28 10:57:34 UTC 2005

D. D. Brierton wrote:

>I hope you won't mind if I don't reply in detail to your thoughtful and
>well-written reply. I don't want this to turn into a thread which
>exemplifies all the things I was decrying in my original posting. But I
>agree with much of what you say: yes, the passions and the volume with
>which they are expressed on this list is a sign of the health and vigour
>of the Fedora community; but at the same time it is also a danger for
>it. Many voices shouting loudly about nothing terribly important is not
>productive. Remember that at this moment, with CVS (or is it SVN now?)
>access still not opened up, these mailing lists are pretty much what
>constitutes the Fedora community. And if these flame wars continue then
>I think that community might dissipate horribly -- after all, how many
>Red Hat engineers post here nowadays? I think that there is a danger
>that people will leave this mailing list for good if it continues like
>it is, and that will be a bad thing for everyone. That was the only
>point I was trying to make.
>
>Best, Darren

Point well taken... A word of caution never hurts... And I see your
point about the absense of Red Hat personnel on the list, however I also
think that the whole point of Fedora was to be taken care by the
community it could generate... Red Hat is still a great part of the
distro and the communtiy and I don't think that will ever change (and I
certainly hope it won't!!), but this also allows us, the users to
experiment and take care of this huge baby the whole Fedora project is,
either by supplyin users in trouble with support and answers to their
inquiries even if they're the most basic ones... I myself try as hard as
I can to avoid giving a freaking RTFM answer... Why? Because I know what
does it feel like to be struck by such an answer as a newbie... However
I try to also encourage study and investigation upon answering (I cannot
always attain this, but I try)... And many more do their best too...

The dynamic nature of the list is what is making it quite hard to keep
up with, a less dynamic means of communication (such as official
community forums) are, in my opinon more suited to the amount of volume
this list gets... being less dynamic means less overflow, you can go
through threads at much more slow pace and it will even be a better way
to encourage growth, or so I see it.