fc3 on old 7GB HD with 64MB Ram

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 28 15:05:47 UTC 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:48:00 +0100 (CET)
duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk wrote:

> The laptop has fc2 running now, but not very well - i just installed it
> 'out of the box' with no tweaks. I now want to put fc3 on with whatever
> tweaks people can suggest.

Run XFCE4, not Gnome or KDE.  That will save you a *lot* of memory which
your system can use for other things.

Disable any services you don't absolutely need after the installation.
FC3 runs more stuff by default than you will need on an
older box.

For casual browsing on old hardware, you might want to install dillo in
addition to firefox/mozilla.  See http://www.dillo.org/

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!