FC3 NIC bonding but arp wrong

John Horne John.Horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Fri Jan 28 15:28:18 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 13:29 +0000, John Horne wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 09:37 +0000, John Horne wrote:
> >
> > The problem with the FC3 server is that clients connect to the server
> > but have no Internet access. I can see packets trying to be sent out but
> > nothing being received. The problem as far as I can see is that the arp
> > table entry on the FC3 server is wrong. For the FC2 servers we have:
> >
> A quick update is that the problem seems to be that the server is not
> sending out ARP replies for the vpn connection interfaces it creates. I
> can see the network router sending out arp queries for the connection IP
> addresses but the vpn server is not replying. Wonder why??

I have submitted this as a bug to Fedora bugzilla (#146459).

As far as I can tell the proxyarp of pppd is checking both the bond0 and
eth0 interfaces (in our case). Although both are deemed 'useable' by
pppd it uses the last one it saw - eth0 in this case. Somehow FC2 worked
fine and selected the bond0 interface.

John.