Installing fedora at school

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Fri Jan 28 16:28:57 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Mckenzie" <jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2005 9:50 AM
Subject: Re: Installing fedora at school

> One of the things that I would like to point out is that FC is a BETA
> or testing product.  I would not install it to a production or training
> environment. I would use a more stable distribution in such an
> environment,
> such as RHEL.
>
> James McKenzie
> A Proud User of Linux!

Um, not exactly.  It's definitely "bleeding edge" but it certainly not a
beta environment.  The "Core" releases are typically very solid, and if you
just use some common sense running any of the FC distros is perfectly safe.

Set up a dev/testing box somewhere and do daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly
(or whatever makes sense for your environment) testing on it.  If you know
you are going to use your machines for, say, word processing, then test your
updates on the test machine and make sure that word processing doesn't break
.

I use FC on my desktop and RHEL on my servers.  Never had any significant
problem with either of them.

As a side note, I believe that Red Hat offers some amazing pricing on RHEL
for schools.  I *think* it's something like $25 for WS and $50 for AS.
Check with RH sales for more details.

Thomas