Fwd: Installing mysql-4.1.9-1 in FC3

David Hoffman dhoffman2004 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 19:41:13 UTC 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 20:36:38 +0100, Remi COLLET
<collet at iut-info.ens.univ-reims.fr> wrote:
> David Hoffman a écrit :
> Remi,

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Kanwar is looking for
> the
compat package that I identified in my earlier URL, the same one
> that
Paul identified earlier as well. This PACKAGE is
> the
mysql-shared-compat package which provides libmysqlclient.so.10. The
> MySQL-shared-compat-4.1.9-0.i386.rpm (from www.mysql.com) provides
> # rpm -qlp MySQL-shared-compat-4.1.9-0.i386.rpm
> /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so
> /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.10
> /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.10.0.0
> /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.12
> /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.12.0.0
> /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.14
> /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.14.0.0
> /usr/lib/libmysqlclient_r.so
> /usr/lib/libmysqlclient_r.so.10
> /usr/lib/libmysqlclient_r.so.10.0.0
> /usr/lib/libmysqlclient_r.so.12
> /usr/lib/libmysqlclient_r.so.12.0.0
> /usr/lib/libmysqlclient_r.so.14
> /usr/lib/libmysqlclient_r.so.14.0.0
> While le mysqlclient10-3.23.58-4 from Fedora devel provides
> # rpm -ql mysqlclient10
> /etc/ld.so.conf.d/mysqlclient10-i386.conf
> /usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.so.10
> /usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.so.10.0.0
> /usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient_r.so.10
> /usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient_r.so.10.0.0
> This files are required to run package build using the old mysql-devel
> package.
>
> An the mysql-4.1.9 (from Fedora devel), provides (notice the filter)
> # rpm -ql mysql | grep so
> /etc/ld.so.conf.d/mysql-i386.conf
> /usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.so.14
> /usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.so.14.0.0
> /usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient_r.so.14
> /usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient_r.so.14.0.0
> This files are required to run the package build using the new mysql-devel
> package (such as the mysql command line tools)
> library file is required by other packages. However, if you remove the
mysql
> package from FC3, you remove the library file.
No, you'll have to install
> both mysql and mysqlclient10 package in a single command to avoid
> dependencies problem :
> # rpm -Uvh mysql*4.1.9-1.i386.rpm  mysqlclient10-3.23.58-4.i386.rpm
> So if someone wants to use MySQL 4.xx, and if they still have
> other
applications that require the library file, the best solution is
download and install the mysql-shared-compat package which provides
those
> library files.

No. I think it's not a good solution to use package from
> Fedora with other one from MySQL.
> As you can see in the above listing, they use different path for
> installation (/usr/lib and /usr/lib/mysql) and you must ask witch
> libmysqlclient.so.14 you aure going to use if you it.
>
> If think you should only use the compat package from Mysql if you also use
> the mysql server from this.
> And in this case i think the  MySQL-shared-3.23.58-1.i386.rpm must be
> enough.
> Kanwar was asking for where to get that package. His question was
already
> answered by Paul, but then you wrote another message which
only served to
> confuse. He does not want to know what to get to
recompile the package, he
> only wanted to know where the RPM file was.
He says "I've rebuilt
> mysql-4.1.9-1 on my FC3 machine from the Fedora development source RPM. "
> So i think he's able to do the same thing with the compatibility package
> from the same source.
>
> As he says in his last message (at 16:13)
> This is a dead issue.
No, It's always a pleasure (for me) to discover
> solution used by other people and to discuss with them.
> Remi

I am not sure what you are getting at. Of course there are more than
one way to do things. I mentioned the way that I thought was easiest.
I installed the shared-compat package, then removed the old mysql,
then installed the new 4.1.9 versions of client and server. It all
worked. No errors.

The issue has been solved, one way or another, so please let it end.

David