java plugin for mozilla on FC1

Craig Thomas cjtinhp at optonline.net
Fri Jan 28 19:41:43 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 11:22 -0800, David Forsman wrote:
> > > it's running this version.  but the web pages that
> > use
> > > the java plugin still won't do anything.  is there
> > > work around or am I going to have to upgrade to
> > FC2?

Are you trying isntall the java plugin for an applet?

If not, please pardon the noise.

If so, upgrading to FC2 or FC3 wont help as this has nothing to do with
which version of FC is running. Java is not, and has not been, ready to
go 'out of the box' on any version of FC to date.  You must install the
plugin manually.

create a symlink in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins to the plugin in the
jre/sdk you've installed.

Something like [as root]:

ln -sf /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_07/jre/plugin/i386/ns610-
gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

[of course, replace your sdk directory with the one above.]

That should work for mozilla and firefox, for all the users of the
machine.  If it doesn't?  you can try to create the symlink in
~/.mozilla/plugins as yourself.

Of course, YMMV.

Hope that helps,

--