FC3, Apache, and Front Page

David Cary Hart Fedora at TQMcube.com
Fri Jan 28 20:19:37 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 12:07 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:

> FrontPage is not any more secure than any other HTML editor.

True.

> All FP
> does is give you a GUI development environment with a quasi-SourceSafe
> upload capacity.

And WYSIWYG and navigation, form and form-mail handlers. It keeps the
links in sync. It does a lot of good stuff. I have tried Dream Weaver
and have never quite been able to get the hang of it. Since it works in
wine, I wish that I could become proficient.

> Quanta is good, and there's a ton of other decent
> GUI-based website design packages out there that need nothing more than
> FTP upload capacity on the server to post your stuff.  Stick with them.

Quanta is not WYSIWYG

> Speaking as one of the incredibly stupid few that have done the patches
> and crap to make Apache work with FP, I can tell you that it is an
> unholy, farking nightmare to set up and make work properly.  If you
> aren't a skilled programmer, don't even TRY to do it.  I've been doing
> this stuff for 30 years and _I_ get brain cramps with it.

I have never had any problems with the extensions. However, I have found
that mod_security breaks FP; suexec breaks virtual hosts and NEVER mess
with root .htaccess files. The web interface to owsadm.exe is also messy
because it requires IE in order to work properly.