booting from knoppix problem

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Fri Jan 28 21:59:45 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 13:40 -0800, Charles Malespin wrote:
> Hi, this is what I did to download knoppix.  I used one of the mirrror
> sites and downloaded this file to my computer
> KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN
>  Then I used the CD burning data that came with my computer(Record
> Now! I think is what its called).  They have an option to burn data
> CDs as bootable.  Then they asked me to pick the image I wanted to
> make the boot CD from.  When I would go to the file where I had
> knoppix downloaded to it wasnt an .iso file which is what the CD
> software was looking for, so I had to tell it to look for all files.
> Only then would the knoppix file show up.  I would then burn that file
> which said was an image file...  And that is what I did for both
> knoppix and the rescue CD.
> Charles

Hello Charles,

Welcome to the Fedora list.  This list is really more about the
community surrounding the Linux distribution called Fedora, not one of
the many other Linux distributions.  Your question about Knoppix
probably belongs on one of their lists, check out www.knopper.net.

Also, it is generally accepted on most mailing lists that digest their
mail for some of the members, to avoid using HTML (pretty) mail and
switch to posting in text mode.

Now, as to your question, I think I might be able to help a little bit.
One way to confirm whether or not the CD has been properly "burned" is
to simply try looking at it.  It sounds like you have Windows loaded.
Can you put one of the CDs you created back in the drive and try looking
at the contents of the CD?  If you see a single file on the CD, then you
chose the wrong options in your CD burning software (I believe you
called it Record Now).  If you see lots of files and directories, then
the CD was probably burned correctly.

Now, I'm guessing that when you look at the CD, you are going to see
only one file.  I do not know the specifics about RecordNow, but, in
general, we need to choose to burn the file as an "image".  You should
not have to tell the software to "make the CD bootable" since those
instructions are already inside the "image".  Try playing around with
some of the options.

Good luck,

--Rob