Pl 5000 Install

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 28 22:28:46 UTC 2005

Robert Slade wrote:
> Thanks James. I've been 'playing' with this some more. The problem seems
> to occur right at the start The boot loader starts and tries to read the
> CD. I get a list of messages which say something like iso image found at
> 00 and all the steps up to 9A (not sure about this as it goes by rather
> fast). It looks like the Kernel at initial boot is seeing it as a series
> of tracks (or images) rather than 1. Perhaps the problem lies with the
> Kernal being booted initially.

A couple of things to try:

Can you get hold of Knoppix and see if that does any better?

Will that thing boot from a USB key?

Otherwise, I understand that there are generic boot floppies designed to
boot CDs on computers without BIOS support for booting from CD. You may
be able to persuade one of them to boot from an image on the hard drive.
So if you could get diskboot.img or boot.iso from the images directory
on the first CD onto the hard drive, you might be able to launch the
install process that way.

Good luck!

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | Legacy (adj):
Exeter    Devon    UK | an uncomplimentary computer-industry epithet that