Home p2p network, need help

Maxim Eremeev maxim_eremeev at umail.ru
Fri Jan 28 23:12:56 UTC 2005

Leandro Melo wrote:

>Hi David, thanks for your attention.
>I'll try to detail what i want to. I might be getting confused because
>of my english. This time i'll try to clearify things.
>I have 2 pcs home. Both of them runs windows xp (and one of them also
>runs fedora).
>This two computers are part of my domestic intranet. In other works, i
>have a windows network called "HOME". This way, pc 1 can see pc 2 and
>vice-versa. Also, if you share a folder in pc 1, the other can access
>it (and vice-versa). This is just an ordinary windows network.
>When i connect pc 1 to the internet (using windows and adsl modem ---
>I'M NOT USING THE MODEM AS A ROUTER), i configured my windows network
>to allow pc 2 to share this connection, what makes sense, as they're
>in the same intranet.
>Recently, i installed fedora in pc 1 (it has now two o.s.). Pc 1 has
>one partition that can be seen by both operating systems. This is a
>vfat partition that can be seen by fedora under the folder /windows
>and can be seen by windows by D:\.
>When i connect pc 1 to the internet running fedora, pc 2 is no longer
>able to share the internet connection. So, i only have pc 1 connected
>to the internet. What i want to build a "home" or "domestic"  intranet
>between pc 1 and pc 2, just like the windows "home" intranet i have.
>This way, when i connect pc 1 to the internet running fedora, pc 2 can
>share this connection.
>Then i'd say, with all my lack of linux experience, that i have to do 2 things.
>1 - Create a intranet between pc 1 running fedora and pc 2 running xp.
>2 - Configure this intranet to allow pc 2 to share a connection to the
>internet when pc 1 is on the internet.
>Have i made myself clear?
>I'm very new to linux, that's why i have no clue from where i need to start.
>Thanks.
>Leandro
>

>On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:57:31 -0600, David Hoffman
><dhoffman2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:37:05 -0200, Leandro Melo <ltcmelo at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Yes.
>>>Here's the point. I have to o.s. in the "server" pc, windows xp and fedora.
>>>My home network has worked for more than one year. Now, i decided to
>>>install fedora in my computer (as i said). So the physical stuff is
>>>all set.
>>>I just want the windows xp "see" my fedora core (just like when i have
>>>the two windows running).
>>>When i did this with xp, everything was very click. The xp wizards
>>>guided me throught the whole process.
>>>I don't expect such a thing in fedora (naturally), but i'd just like a
>>>simple way to make this p2p net to work.
>>>There must be a tutorial os something for doing this, probably about
>>>10 million people have already done this at home.
>>>

>>OK, so what you are saying is that you do not need to share your
>>internet connection, you want to share your FILES. You want your XP
> [...]
Hi,
Well, I think I understood exactly what you need. Basically, you have
two choises to reach your goal: easy and quite useless and quite hard
and pretty useful ones.
The first one is just to let your XP computer to act as a gateway for
the network. This really can be obtained in a couple of clicks - the
result will be immediate and ... you will get nothing from this
experience. The second one is to let your linux box to be a gateway.
Here, as the others have mentioned you will have to read a lot on how
the things actually work, pretty much reading on routing and NAT. The
good side for you as a Linux newbie is that when you finish the job
you'll find yourself comprehending much better the actual networking,
the ways of doing things in GNU/Linux in general and in Fedora in
particular. No one here will be able to provide you with the full
tutorial, as it will take a lot of time and, besides, what are the mans
for then? However, you can be pretty much sure that you'll get enough of
help on some particular problems you'll encounter. So the choice is up
to you. If you choose the first one - and you do not know how to do it
exactly without getting into the whole mess of creating "MS home
network" as a whole, you can ask me on my personal e-mail, as I do not
think that this list is a good place to discuss the "mustdie" subjects :)
Regards,
Maxim.