GPG KEY

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jan 28 23:59:22 UTC 2005

cfk wrote:
> On Friday 28 January 2005 14:42, Dave Jones wrote:
>
>>On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 02:33:00PM -0800, cfk wrote:
>> > Gentlemen:
>> >
>> >  One one of my computers, I am thwarted in running "yum upgrade" as a
>> > package "gthumb" wants a GPG KEY I do not have.
>> >
>> >  In searching archives, I find two different methods to get such a key
>> > and one source says try "rpm --import/usr/share/rhn/RPM-GPG-KEY which
>> > doesnt work.
>>
>>Add a space between --import and /usr/share...
>>
>>  Dave
>

> Dear Dave:
>
>  Thank you very much for the tip. The invocation "rpm
> --import /usr/share/rhn/RPM-GPG-KEY" completes with no errors now. Even
> better, the "yum upgrade" got past the original problem once I did a "yum
> clean" followed by the original "yum upgrade".
>
>  I was mistakenly (sic) thinking there was no space and taking the original
> hint at face value.

Single character options (those starting with a single dash, e.g. "-x")
generally don't require a space between the option name and its value as
the parser knows only the first character is the option name (e.g. the
parser knows "-x9" means "option x, value 9).

Multi-character options (starting with "--") ALWAYS need a space (the
parser doesn't necessarily know "--fredbarney" means "option fred, value
barney", but will try to interpret it as "option fredbarney").

If you always use a space between options and their values, you won't go
wrong.
-            I'm afraid my karma just ran over your dogma            -