Why I think FC3 sucks!

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Sat Jan 29 00:21:09 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 10:16:16PM +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Robert Storey and Jeff Kinz were discussing procmail scripts to "handle"
> HTML mail.
>
> Robert wrote:
> > Or if you only want to send html mail on the Fedora list to trash, use a
> > logical AND:
> > To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> >    AND
> > That should take care of it. For good.
>
> Jeff replied:
> > Say, Robert - I think this filter is too loose.  This method will also
> > trash text based email which are PGP signed.  Thats not what you want.
>
> Will it? PGP signed e-mail should be multipart/mixed or
> multipart/signed (depending on how much is signed).
>
> On the other hand, it *won't* get simple HTML-only mail:
>
> > But you are on the right track.
> >
> > Perhaps something that tracks more closely on html, like this line from
> > my procmailrc file (this line is in a recipe which looks only at email
> > headers and it is case insensitive):
> >
> > * ^content-type:.*html
>
> That shouldn't get *any* Fedora List e-mail...

Thats not the entire recipe.
In real life testing (this list) my procmail recipe identifies and
filters out all the html email, ( both text-html or just html) into
trash/spam folders with 100% accuracy, since it was installed.

Now, the remainder of the exercise is to figure out what the rest of the
recipe holds.  Since Robert is on the right track and since he may not
be working from the same set of assumptions I use in my procmail set up,
I felt it best to simply hint him in a productive direction rather than
simply hand him a pre-wrapped solution that only works in my
environment.

--
Linux/Open Source:  Your infrastructure belongs to you, free, forever.
Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"