Getting Kernel Source

Glenn Story glenn.story at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 00:45:42 UTC 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:51:24 -0600, Gain Paolo Mureddu
<gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx> wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:
>
> > Glenn Story wrote:
> >
> >> What is the recommended way of getting the kernel-source package
> >> update that matches a kernel update retrieved with up2date?  If I
> >> request source with up2date (either generally or specifically for the
> >> kernel rpm) I get complaints about error 404 file not found.
> >

> > Which version of Fedora Core are you using? FC3 has no kernel-source
> > package.

I am indeed using FC#.

> > In general you can get the kernel src.rpm from the SRPMS directory of
> > the Fedora updates directory for your distribution on your favourite
> > Fedora mirror site.
> >
> > Paul.
> >
> I think he means the package kernel-sourcecode like in FC2 or
> kernel-source package as in RH and FC1. I know you can "make" such a
> package from the kernel.src.rpm, I still think it may be convenient to
> have one such package for those cases where you need them.
>
> --

Perhaps I have not been clear.  With RH3 if I use up2date to download
a new kernel I also get  the source.  with FC3 if I use up2date to
download the latest kernel that doesn't happen.  If I change the
configuration to ask for source then the downloads fail for want of a
file on the mirror.

I guess I had this naive hope that if I say I want the source that
corresponds to up2date updates that I can get it.

It sounds like from the last reply that I have to manually rummage
around multiple mirror sites (all of which seem to have a different
inventory) looking for the corresponding src.rpm.   I also had the
naive view that "mirror" meant "exact copy".   If manual rummaging is
what I have to do I'll do it, but I was hoping for something less
tedious.

--
Regards,
Glenn