Time for the swtich has come.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jan 29 01:15:35 UTC 2005

On Friday 28 January 2005 19:05, Matthew Miller wrote:
>On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 05:54:45PM -0600, Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:
>> As unfortunate as it is, my bank for e-banking services REQUIRES
>> (via UsetAgent string) IE and/or Netscape 7.x. That's just plain
>> stupid, I've told them to only check the Mozilla part of the
>> string so users with other Mozilla-based browsers like Firefox or
>> Opera can also access the sites... They do not listen.
>
>Keep trying -- it takes a long time for big institutions to change.
> For a long long time, one of the large financial institutions I use
> had the same problem, but after several years, suddenly they had a
> site redesign that was basically standards-compliant and had no
> such arbitrary checks.

And sometimes they can move with surpriseing speed.  Back when my bank
wsa just getting started, they were IE only.  And I was using IBrowse
on an amiga at the time.  It only took 2 messages to get it fixed to
where I could log into my account and send my bill paying checks out
electronicly, which I'm still doing today with mozilla.  It helped
that I mentioned I had a 5 figure amount on deposit, maybe, maybe
not.

I've found that most banks whose initials aren't BOA, can be moderatly
co-operative when the advantages are pointed out to them.

BOA is another horse entirely, and my interface with them has always
been disastrous.  Twice, at a cost of probably $1000 or more for both
times was enough.  Recycled account number problems it would take
them weeks to fix, in the meantime I've got $1500 in bouncing checks
that are costing me (then=1980) $10 a bounce attempt, all of which
are going into your credit report of course.  They had my paycheck, I
had the receipt, but the account was overdrawn by thousands.

Some of that haunted me for a decade or more, clear across the friggin
country. It sure feels good when you quit beating your head against
that particular stone wall.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)