restarting cups

Robert Storey y2kbug at ms25.hinet.net
Sat Jan 29 02:02:12 UTC 2005

Dear all,

An odd thing I've noticed about Fedora 3 is that I can stop the cups
daemon from running, but I can't start or restart it (unless I reboot):

root at sonic:~> cd /etc/init.d
root at sonic:/etc/init.d> ./cups stop
Stopping cups:                                             [  OK  ]
root at sonic:/etc/init.d> ./cups start
Starting cups: cupsd: Child exited with status 99!
                                                           [FAILED]
root at sonic:/etc/init.d> ./cups restart
Stopping cups:                                             [FAILED]
Starting cups: cupsd: Child exited with status 99!

I'm just wondering is anybody knows why this is so? I've tried other
Linux
distros and haven't encountered this particular issue before.

best regards,
Robert