Website using port 85

Steven J. Brown sbrown3 at optonline.net
Sat Jan 29 07:40:18 UTC 2005

Bob Chiodini wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 16:58 -0500, Steve Brown wrote:
>

>>After learning here on the list that my ISP, Optimum Online, blocks
>>residential customers from running web servers using port 80, I set up
>>httpd.conf and my firewall to run my site using port 85.  It works
>>fine.  Next, I registered a domain with my daughter's name: miabrown.com
>>through 1and1.com.  I set up the account so that requests for
>>miabrown.com are forwarded to my server (dynamic IP address, port 85).
>>
>>Apparently, at work, they block sites that use a port number other than
>>80.  In my brower at work, I see the IP address.  What do I need to do
>>on my server so that it shows the domain name instead of the IP address?
>>

>Steve,
>
>I'm not an HTML guru (IANAHG, hmm..., nah). It looks like the agency
>that is forwarding the HTTP requests to your dynamic IP is putting the
>address in the HTML.  If you run ethereal while surfing to miabrown.com
>you'll see that in the first response packet that the IP address and not
>the name is returned.
>
>I would guess that using this type of redirection will always result in
>your work browser displaying the IP.  BTW:  I get miabrown.com here.
>Both in Linux (firefox) and windows (IE).
>
>Which IP address is your work browser displaying, 69.113.88.148
>(ool-45715894.dyn.optonline.net) or 217.160.226.79 (miabrown.com)?

69.113.88.148

>get something completely different if I access http://69.113.88.148:85.

Forwarding is actually to http://69.113.88.148:85/mia.  Perhaps I should
redirect to the /mia subdirectory.  Now my firewall forwards port 443 to
85, so I can access the site from work using
http://69.113.88.148:443/mia/ (for some reason, if I don't use a
trailing forward slash, it times out).

>BTW:  The year should be 2005 for the snow pictures.  Man am I glad I
>live in Florida:-)  We don't have to shovel hurricanes.

Thank.  I'll make the correction.  We just missed the hurricanes since
we visited Florida last June.  I hope to go to back in March!