Devices in FC4

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Sat Jan 29 18:32:05 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 13:04 -0500, Steven Pasternak wrote:
> I know that this is a bit early, but does anyone know if FC4 will be like FC3
> in the way it generates block devices? I use FC2 now and it always has
> a /dev/sda and /dev/sda1, even when my pen drive isn't plugged in and just
> says it is not valid. FC3, though, doesn't generate a /dev/sda and
> a /dev/sda1 UNTIL I plug it in, and sometimes it doesn't even when I do (til
> I restart it). I HATE that! I hope that this at least has been fixed under
> FC3, though.

Why would you want device files for devices that don't exist?  I've
never seen a case where the devices weren't created when the driver was
loaded.  I've never had to reboot to get a device working.  In the past
HAL and g-v-m have gone nuts and didn't auto-mount.  But most or all of
those issues seem to be fixed.  I just inserted and removed my Sony
Microvault a dozen times and it seems to work perfectly each time.  A
month ago it wouldn't have worked more than once, if that.

If you want to create non-functional device files for whatever reason
then you can use MAKEDEV.  Then copy the device file into
the /etc/udev/devices/ directory.  MAKEDEV is still there for a reason.

I think taking the time to report bugs is the way forward.  Having
60,000 device files in /dev that do nothing would be a major step
backward.  The sooner udev, hal, and the kernel drivers are thoroughly
debugged the sooner any obscure issues won't exist.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/