New Install Idea

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 29 19:46:00 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 02:10:14PM -0500, David Curry wrote:
> Gustavo Seabra wrote:
> >Robert Spangler wrote:

> >>With the new Debian you down load 1 cd to start the install.  The
> >>install then downloads all needed packages from the internet, thus
> >>you system already has the latest version of all software that it
> >>install.  No need to install then wait another hour while it updates
> >>your system.
> >That would be good if you have broadband. But how is this supposed to
> >work with dial up connections? (Ok, I guess one could do this just
> >optional...)
> >
> You raise a good point, Gustavo.  Connection capacity is definitely an
> issue.  With broadband, it took more than seven hours in two updating
> sessions to download and upgrade the FC2 system I installed about two
> weeks ago.  So distribution version and development pace also comes into
> play.

Do not ignore the bandwidth issues at BOTH ends of the connection.
With bittorrent like tools we are on the cusp of solving one end
of the problem.... but the end user and firewalled user will always
have issues.

For what it is worth the BSD folk do almost the same thing
but as I understand it the download is source.  The packages
on a system are compiled locally and installed.

I suspect that one could modify yum or up2date to do the same source
only trick.  For some that would be an advantage because they currently
download both the binary rpm and the source rpm.

One could design a tool perhaps with the name 'syum' that picked up
only the source package rpm.  Then compiled the package and built an rpm
on the local system for installation.

The package owners could be impacted.  Occasionally a source rpm
does not build as cleanly as this strategy demands.

There are other details to sort out but....
There are sites where this has value.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l