New Install Idea

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Sat Jan 29 20:27:06 UTC 2005

Robert Spangler wrote:

This is really a nice idea... I'd add to this idea some annotations:

It'd be incredibly awesome to make Anaconda use some modified version of
yum or up2date, after transfering the installation image into the target
computer. I think the best way would be to leave the installer pretty
much the same as it is now, and just add a little check box at the
install type/package selection screens to check for updates of the
selected packages, then when the installation process really starts, and
after transfering the image (with basic rpm, yum/up2date tools) to the
disk, yum may check for updates of the selected packages and then
internally mark them to be downloaded and installed from one of the
mirror sites, while still installing the rest of the packages off the CD
rom (lets face it, NOT all the packages in the CD's have been updated!).
I see a couple downsides to this approach, though:

1) As pointed out, the bandwidth requirements... Not everybody has
broad-band, and even among broadband users there are circumstances where
this is simply not quite justifiable, like cases where the total
bandwidth is only 128k to 256k downstream... At times even a 512k
downstream connection seems VERY slow nowadays!
2) The overhead of RPM interdependency solving may really slow things
down, especially for lower-end machines.
3) The memory foot-print of the installer may be too large to be
practical to implement this way (thus my proposal of using an on disk
image for this). Sounds like a good idea, but may be too hard to
implement and even unjustified... Last time I tried to use rpm from a
chroot'ed environment I wasn't too successful so this may be perfectly
done, just I don't know how.

Another idea (as already pointed out) would be to have a LiveCD install
only which would only download and install the packages to the chroot'ed
disk environment, without installing packages from the CD, this would
require a QUITE fast connection (something in the order of 6Mbits/s)