Devices in FC4

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Jan 29 21:07:19 UTC 2005

On 01/29/2005 10:31:37 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:

> > and sometimes it doesn't even when I do (til
> > I restart it). I HATE that!
>
> Do you have all the kernel and hal updates applied? It's new
> functionality, and there have been a number of bugfixes. If so, then
> could you check the end of /var/log/messages when /dev/sda *does*
> appear
> and when it *doesn't*. Post the results here along with chipset and
> pen
> drive information, and we'll either see if we can spot something, or
> ask
> you to bugzilla it (so there's a chance it gets fixed).

I have the same thing happen with my iPod mini occasionally.
Usually it just works - sometimes I have to plug it in twice -
occasionally I have to reboot.

I have on occasion noticed that when booting, there is an error related
to my FireWire controller - and whenever I have seen that error, I
can't use the iPod. Wether that is _always_ the case when I can't use
it w/o rebooting or not - I don't know, but I think in _my case_ it is
a IEEE 1394 driver bug that sometimes causes the bus to not work. It
didn't start happening until I added a Belkin firewire card - but when
it does happen, neither the Belkin or onboard FireWire work, when it
works - both work.

But I suspect my issue is kernel driver and not udev related - I'm just
mentioning it because that *may* be the case with the OP as well.