moving to linux

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 22:14:18 UTC 2005

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:56:25 -0500, Ron Watson <res1eiyi at verizon.net> wrote:
> Maxim Eremeev wrote:
> > Ron Watson wrote:
> >> I just installed fedora 2, the fedora 3 anaconda would crash when it
> >> looked at my
> >> partitions, put in 2.6.9, then updated last night to 2.6.10.... I
> >> have fat32 and ntfs
> >> partitions, w98 and w2k installed but oopsie, i told it to put the
> >> boot loader on
> >> main disk and w2k won't load. tried to mount them and doesn't know
> >> about ntfs.
> >> How do I add ntfs support to kernel or restore the windoze boot
> >> loader to "C:"?
> >>
> > Well, it is relatively easy to restore the Win2K boot loader. You just
> > need its installation disc, then you boot from it into recovery
> > console and
> > fixboot
> > fixmbr
> > should do the trick.
> > However then you will need to reinstall your grub through recovery
> > disc, and I suggest you to search through the posts here as the
> > problem of dual (and even triple) boot was discussed several times.
> > Good luck,
> > Maxim.
> >
> Thanks, will make a recovery disk, test it, try to get w2k back up, get
> linux back up.
> As for ntfs support... went to /boot/config-2.6.10-1.9_FC2 and it says
> auto generated...
> auto generated by what? Noticed it does not set ntfs support, e.g.
>
> # CONFIG_NTFS_FS is not set
>
> so is it "safe" to add
>
> CONFIG_NTFS_FS=y
>
> to the config file, will it just get overwritten at next boot, or what?
>
> Ron;

Sure you can change it, but it won't do anything.  You can either
change it and then recompile your kernel or you can go the easy route
and go to the great http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/ website and
download the kernel module rpm and install it. Then you can mount your
NTFS drive.
You may not have to restore the Win2k boot loader to get things fixed.
 You probably just need to configure GRUB to chainload Windows.  If
you installed GRUB to the MBR of the main disk, this is what you want.
 You can then tell GRUB about the Windows installs and it can get them
booting too.  The installer should have done something like this for
you.  Do you have an "Other" boot option?  When the GRUB screen comes
up, press a key and you should see a list of systems to boot.  I
suggest you look around in the archives and on Google for stuff about
dual booting so that you can understand what you want to do.  If you
get stuck with something, then shoot another email at the list.

Jonathan