Regarding MP3 support

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Jan 29 22:48:16 UTC 2005

On 01/29/2005 02:39:41 AM, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 23:05 -0800, Brian Mury wrote:
> > So anyone know of any iPod-like players that support ogg? Something
> in
> > the 20 to 40 GB range would be nice.
>
> I use my Palm Zire 71 with Pocket Tunes for playing OGG. Do you
> really
> need that much memory? I use a 256MB SD-Card and get about 6 full
> albums
> on it.

For me that is not an option - since I do not drive, charging something
is difficult - so having a palm turned on and playing is not a good
idea, as it may then not have battery when I need it. Also - since I
ride a bike, having a player I can easily secure to my belt is the best
way to go - etc.

So for me to go with ogg, I would need a player like a mini that has
protective cases available that easily SOLIDLY clip to a belt, and
probably 256 MB is not big enough, though the nice thing about cards is
you carry a few extras if you get bored with one.

Using ogg sounds nice - but it just really is more difficult because it
does not have the market penetration in devices that mp3 has. There's a
time for being idealistic, and there's a time for using what works in
the present.