troubles building kernel

EBEIGHE bicyclewheelers.com ebeighe at bicyclewheelers.com
Sun Jan 30 03:54:18 UTC 2005

> On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 18:31 -0700, EBEIGHE bicyclewheelers.com wrote:
>> hi there.
>> i've never actually built a kernel before, so I'm having newbie
>> trouble -- I
>> wonder if some kind soul can set me straight?
>
> It would help if you describe the end result that you are trying to
> accomplish.
>
> Are you are simply trying to learn how too build a kernel from source or
> are you trying to modify something?

At this stage, just trying to do it for the exerience :-)

I went through the whole procedure again, this time building and installing
modules, and got the same failure.
In any event, I'm not really sure why, but I needed to re-create the initrd.
I was under the (mistaken) impression that since i was (or thought I was)
just building an exact replica of the existing kernel I would not need a new
initrd. But by making a new one, i.e.:
mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-prep 2.6.9-prep
And using that along with the new kernel everything booted up fine!

I see where the -prep comes from in the Makefile, but am wondering, why does
it say that? I would have expected it to be -1.667  Obviously this isn't
really the makefile that was used to create the vmlinux-2.6.9-1.667 that I
got when I installed FC3.

I am still wondering about system.map file.
I didn't do anything with that -- yet everything seems ok. is that right?
I was reading this HOWTO:
http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html#INSTALLATION
and it talks about copying it /boot and making some link to it. Do I need to
do that?

Thanks,