Enable Firewall, But Allow Specific Inbound Connections

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Sun Jan 30 09:35:13 UTC 2005

Robert L Cochran wrote:

> On Fedora Core 3, I want to enable the firewall, permitting inbound
> TCP connections from anywhere on port 80. I also want to allow inbound
> connections on port 3306 but only from hosts 192.168.1.1 and
> 192.168.1.2.
>
> It looks like I can't do this from the Applications --> System
> Settings --> Security Level GUI. I can allow ports 80 and 3306, but it
> doesn't look like I can limit the port 3306 connections to just 2
> specific hosts. I would have to craft an IPTABLES script. Am I right
> here, and if so, what would be the right way to add specific IPTABLES
> rules without interfering with the Security Level applet?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bob Cochran
> Greenbelt, Maryland, USA

I (as the other posters) will recommend you to learn iptables, and if
you want a very easy way to configure your firewall and build *quite*
complex per-interface rule sets, I'd strongly recommend you take a look
at fwbuilder (there are the packages for it in the pre-extras repo
[http://fedoraproject.org/pre-extras])